Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Are you a giver? Birthday wish, and please also keep clicking that link to the TunaFish website!

In my last post I mentioned I was planning something for Christmas and my birthday (2 January). The something I was planning involves you, and your money. This is not sounding good, is it? Please give me a chance to explain.

Because I am practically in a different country every year, most of you haven't had to buy me any birthday presents for a while now (ok, I do realise that this works both ways and that you probably also didn't get a present from me on your birthday, but that's not really the point in this post). This year, even though I couldn't physically be further away from most of the people I know, I wanted to ask you for a birthday gift. Or Christmas gift, if that's more your thing.
Lately I've been reading a bunch of books about the Tao and related stuff, and I was inspired by the idea of needing less, giving more. This led to the plan to ask you to help me raise some money for a good cause. So your gift to me would be money that we can give to people that need it more than I do.

I talked about this plan with a few people and they were pessimistic and didn't think it would work. The word 'recession' was mentioned. But really guys? Please don't tell me you can afford two more drinks, but can't spend that same money on something/someone that really needs it. I refuse to think that's you, so I still believe that you are generous and would love to give something, no matter how small the amount. If I am right, you can click on the 'Donate' button on the right (I'm very proud of my geeky me that managed to set this up). This button links to PayPal which allows you to donate with your credit card, of from your own PayPal account if you have one. The money goes into my PayPal account and you can leave a message too I think. I promise you that I will NOT keep the money for myself (unless that's your specific wish of course).

If you don't want to use this option please email me and I will send you my bank details (Dutch, Australian or Kiwi).

As for the good cause, I have a few in mind but find it very hard to choose so suggestions are welcome. I will let you know which one I picked. Once again, any amount is welcome, and I will donate something myself as well.

I picked a cause! I've decided to donate the money to the Liliane Foundation (Liliane Fonds). This is a Dutch organisation that helps handicapped children in developing countries. I picked this one because a family friend with years and years of experience in this industry recommended it to me as an organisation that doesn't pocket your money for themselves. They only have a Dutch website: http://www.lilianefonds.nl/, so if you want to know more and can't read Dutch let me know! I've been thinking about my own contribution, and decided I will sign up to give them a monthly donation.

And to keep up the spirit of giving, I don't have anything tangible to give, but I do want to tell you all that I miss spending time with you and really think the main downside of travelling is that I don't get to spend nearly as much time with you as I'd like. Then again, some of you I'd never have met if I hadn't done this travelling!

One thank you in particular to B&F for supporting everything I do in every imaginable way!

And last but not least, a repeat of the request for my personal benefit: please click this link (clicking it is all you need to do).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoi liefje,

Wat een goed idee!!. Ik hoop dat je veel van zulke verjaardagscadeautjes krijgt. Wel handig om snel een doel te bepalen, lijkt me.

Liefs,
F.

Anonymous said...

Ha Moppie,
Super goed idee. Ik ga er gelijk mee aan de slag! dikke kus Estela en Micha

Susanne said...

Elsbeth,

Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag, meissie! Dat het komende levensjaar WEER een jaar met veel nieuwe ontmoetingen en mooie plekken op deze aardbol voor je moge worden!!!

Veel liefs van Susanne, en ook van Joris en MarĂ­a

Anonymous said...

Hey Els,
beetje laat, maar alsnog gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag. Ik zat in Frankrijk op die dag, zonder zelfs maar bereik van mn mobiele telefoon....Lekker weekje weg met Jop, naar het huis van zijn ouders. Nu weer aan de slag. werk sinds kort als projectmedewerker bij de stichting E-learning for kids. Is echt leuk, kijk maar eens op hun site. Ze bieden via internet educatieve games aan, erg leuk.
Hoop dat alles verder goed met je gaat.
-x- Christine