Sunday, November 29, 2009

I like shooting too

New Zealand, country of sheep, kiwifruit, hot guys (or so I have been told), and sheep. Apart from all these wonderful things, New Zealand is also known for it's amazing natural beauty and crazy adventure sports. Yes, New Zealand is a country for the great outdoors. Dutch people in general are not used to the great outdoors, probably because we don't have a lot of it, and I especially are not an outdoor thrill seeker. I don't surf, I don't do rock climbing, mountain biking (except in Argentina and only downhill), I've never tried wake boarding, snow boarding and anything on a board for that matter, and I've never found a good reason to try things that involve elastic ropes and high altitudes. Even scuba diving is not for me. I do like snorkelling and I am highly skilled in floating in caribbean waters.

Do I sound boring? Maybe, but I don't really care. I still consider myself pretty adventurous and cool and I don't see why my self image should have to relate to reality. I mean, what good would that do?

Seriously though, last week I spent some time in a shop called Ocean Hunter. Why? Because my new flatmate has a hobby called spearfishing. This involves diving without oxygen tanks, a gun (not a spear apparently), and lots of other interesting equipment that I had never heard of. Like a shark shield. Except when I just googled this device I found this result. Aah!

Next up was a little trip up North from Auckland, to a place called Pataua, an almost deserted peninsula with a few houses, boats, and a campsite.
While my flatmate went off to shoot some fish, I thought it would be good if I did something adventurous too, like climb the weird looking hill at the end of the beach. But it was 6.30 in the morning and I quickly abandoned the idea. Instead, I did some shooting that is more my kind, the one that involves a camera. Below are some of the things I shot. Yep, myself too.









and one pic shot on One Tree Hill in Auckland

3 comments:

Sara said...

"...and I am highly skilled in floating in caribbean waters." I love that line! Can I steal that and put it on my resume? Please!?!

Elsbeth said...

Haha, shouldn't yours say something involving snow? I'm sure that would be useful in Chile. Maybe you should just use both, to show how diverse you are!

Anonymous said...

Estas muy guapa en esta foto!....y sin ponytail.....foto facebook please!!

BCN misses you!

Kisses!!